The acceptance committee will discuss each request according to the candidate’s qualifications and according to the program’s intake possibilities. Those candidates with the highest rankings of those meeting the acceptance requirements will be selected. In extraordinary cases, the acceptance committee will discuss special requests.
Requirements for acceptance to the MA in Early Childhood Studies
- Specific acceptance requirements of each track (see below)
- Supplementary studies (see below)
- Exemption (“ptor”) in English (see below)
Requirements for acceptance to the guidance and counseling track
- Final grade for undergraduate degree of at least 80
- At least one year’s experience, since the date of graduation and up to August 30 of the year before the intended academic year begins, of work with young children
Requirements for acceptance to the mental health track
- Final grade for undergraduate degree of at least 80 in a therapeutic field specializing in young children (social work, art therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, etc.)
Requirements for acceptance to the policy and management track
- Final grade for undergraduate degree of at least 80
- Preference for candidates with a background in management and inspection of early childhood or related therapeutic or educational frameworks.
Supplementary studies, set by the acceptance committee after checking previous academic studies, are meant to provide all students with a common knowledge-base that is an essential condition for acceptance to the program. These studies will include the following undergraduate courses or their equivalents, according to the candidate’s previous studies:
- Introduction to Statistics. Recommended: supplementary workshop before the beginning of the academic year or “Basic Concepts in Statistics” course.
- Introduction to research methods. Recommended: supplementary workshop before the beginning of the academic year or “Research methods” course
- Introduction to developmental psychology. Recommended: supplementary workshop before the beginning of the academic year.
Anyone required to take three or more supplementary courses will be accepted to the program as a regular student only after completing these studies and achieving an average of at least 80 therein. Completing the supplementary studies in the first year of study is a condition for continuing in the program. The supplementary studies are not considered part of the degree course.
At the end of the summer before the beginning of the academic year, concentrated supplementary workshops will be offered, that can replace some of the abovementioned courses. Details at the secretariat.
Exemption (“ptor”) in English
In accordance with the procedures of the Hebrew University, receiving an exemption at university level is a necessary condition of acceptance to the MA in Early Childhood program. An exemption in English must be presented by the end of September before the beginning of the intended academic year.
A candidate who is not a graduate of the Hebrew University shall present an exemption from his/her undergraduate studies at one of the institutions recognized for this by the Hebrew University (List of the institutions recognized for the exemption in English)
A candidate whose undergraduate studies were not at an institution in the above list must present an alternative exemption on the basis of the psychometric exam, AMIR/AMIRM test, or English as a Foreign Language studies at the Hebrew University.
Registration for the 2018-19 academic year will begin in January 2018 and end on 30 June 2018.
- All candidates must register at the University’s Registration and Acceptance office via the website (online registration). Overseas students will register via the Overseas Students Admissions Office, Goldschmidt Building, tel: 02-5882607
For further details on the registration process, see the Guide for Candidates
- At the same time, create an account in the graduate studies registration system (EKMD) in order to submit the required documents for acceptance to the program:
- Standard passport photo
- Succinct resume in the standard format for seeking a job
- Certification of entitlement to previous undergraduate/graduate degree, with the institution’s stamp and signature
- Detailed grades from the above undergraduate/graduate degree, with the institution’s stamp and signature
- Two letters of recommendation, one from an employer and one from a faculty member
The candidacy of anyone who does not carry out these two stages will not be brought before the acceptance committee. Anyone paying registration fees and not uploading documents to EKMD will be rejected on the grounds of lack of documentation at the end of the registration period.
- The acceptance committee will discuss a candidate only after registration fees are paid and all the required documents have been submitted
- The acceptance committee’s decision regarding a candidate is made on the basis of the candidacy documents only, but it may summon the candidate for an interview if it sees fit
- The committee’s decision will be sent officially via e-mail, according to the details given by the candidate when submitting his/her candidacy
- The candidate may appeal the committee’s decision within seven days from the time the announcement is received by the secretariat. Appeals date will not be transferred to the committee.