Ph.D. 1965, StanfordUniv.; Teaching Fellow (Sen. Lecturer) 1975; Sen. Teacher 1987; Assoc. Prof. 1991; Full Prof. 1994; Emeritus 2005
Child development in group-care settings: Focus on social and emotional development in the first three years of life. Toddlers' peer interaction and "concern for others" in a group setting. Child rearing ideologies and child development ethno-theories in different cultural contexts. Quality of Care for infants and toddlers: social policy and standards of care.
Parents' and Educators' ideas, perceptions and definitions of "quality of care" in child care settings in different cultures.
Social and emotional development of young children in day-care: The effects of Caregivers' beliefs and behavior.
Abstracts of Current Research :
Parents' and Educators' ideas : Cultural differences in child rearing ideology as expressed in the developmental goals and practices of parents and educators in different cultural groups are examined through semi-structured interviews and a questionaire.
Peer interaction and emotional expression of young children: :The hopes and anxieties concerning the development of children led researchers studying the effects of child care to focus on aspects of care which are associated with developmental outcomes in terms of achievement of competence or adjustment. The cognitive educational objectives of Early Childhood programs in most Western societies center on intellectual development and later school achievement. In this study, we examine the relationship between the beliefs and behavior of caregivers in Day Care with their children, and these children's engagement in conflicts as well as in positive peer interaction. The effects of an intervention program which focuses on caregivers' attitudes and behaviors are examined.
1. Rosenthal, M. K. (2000). Home to Early Childhood service: An ecological perspective. Childrens Issues, 4 (1), 7-15.
2. Rosenthal, M. K., & Roer-Strier, D. (2001). Cultural differences in mothers' developmental goals and ethnotheories. International Journal of Psychology, 36 (1), 20-31.
3. Roer-Strier, D., & Rosenthal, M. K. (2001). Socialization in changing cultural contexts: Immigrant parents and their image of an “adaptive adult” : Consistency and change. Social Work, 46 (3), 215-228
4. Rosenthal M. K. (2001). Child care for infants and toddlers in Israel: lessons from research. In P. Klein (Ed), Infants, parents and caregivers: Research on child development in Israel(pp.79-118). Tel Aviv: Reches (Hebrew).
5. Rosenthal, M. K. (2001). Child care and early education in Israel. In K. Petrogiannis, & E. C. Melhuish (Eds), International perspectives on early years education and care, ( 23 ms pages). AthensGreece: Kastaniotis. (Greek)
6. Roer-Strier, D., & Rosenthal, M. K. (2001). Cultural transition: Effects on parenting and socialization. In M. Lisak & E. Leshem (Eds), From Russiato Israel: Cultural transition and identity, ( 23 ms pages). Tel Aviv: HaKibbutz HaMeuhad, Kav Adom (Hebrew).
7. Rosenthal, M. K. (2001) Early Childhood Education in Israel: Policy, practice and curriculum. In Sollars, V. Curricula, Policies and Practices in Early Childhood Education (pp. 134-137). Malta:P.E.G. Ltd., San Gwann
8. Rosenthal, M. K. (2001) Quality in early childhood education. In Sollars, V. Curricula, Policies and Practices in Early Childhood Education. Malta:P.E.G. Ltd., San Gwann
9. Rosenthal, M. K. (2003) Family day care in Israel: Policy, Quality and daily experiences of children. In A. Mooney, J. Statham & D.C. Farm (Eds.), International perspectives on policy, practice and quality (pp. 93 – 110). London: Jesssica Kingsley Publishers
10. Rosenthal, M. K. (2003). Quality in early childhood education and care: A cultural context. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal (EECERJ),11(2), 101-116
11. Roer-Strier, D., & Rosenthal, M. K. (2003). Socialization in Israel: Processes of change and preservation of child rearing goals. In E. Lshem & D. Roer-Strier (Eds.), Cultural differences: A challenge to human services. Jerusalem: “Magnas”, HebrewUniversity(Hebrew)
12. Rosenthal, M. K. & Roer-Strier, D. (In Press). What sort of an adult would you like your child to be? : Mothers’ developmental goals in different cultural communities in Israel. International Journal of Behavior Development.
13. Rosenthal, M. K. (2006). Early Childhood Care and Education in Israel. In E. Melhuish & K. Petrogiannis (Eds) Early Childhood Care and Education : International Perspectives. London: Routledge.
רוזנטל, מ. (2004). מדיניות חברתית ואיכות חינוך-טיפול במסגרות לגיל הרך בישראל: נייר עמדה.
רוזנטל, מ. (2005). הוועדה המייעצת לרישוי ופיתוח סטנדרטים למסגרות-יום חינוכיות לגיל הרך (0-4). דו"ח ביניים. משרד התעשייה, המסחר והתעסוקה.
רוזנטל, מ. (2006). סטנדרטים להפעלת מעונות יום לגיל הרך. משרד התעשייה, המסחר והתעסוקה.